Wile, Wit, Wisdom & Weaponry

Ruminations, Opinions & Debate about the world as I see it and the toys that make it bearable!

My Photo
Name:
Location: TEXAS, United States

-Defender of the Second Amendment, the "little guy", free market system, liberty and freedom from government!

Friday, July 18, 2008

I need a varmint cartridge!

A young friend of mine was posing a question to me not too long ago about what I thought he should do in looking into a varmint rig to add to his modest collection of weaponry. Of course, my first couple of questions centered around the prey he intended to shoot, and the distance at which he anticipated shooting said prey.

Friend: Well, I really like my .308 Winchester, but I want something faster.

Me: Have you considered a center-fire in the .22 family of cartridges?

Friend: Well, I need something that bucks the wind and has more impact energy.

Me: So, you need something in the .24 to .27 inch category?

Friend: Yeah, a .24 caliber would be great! Could I get a 'wildcat' based on my .308?

Me: You're in luck, they already have such. It's called the .243 Winchester...it's been around since before you and I were born. And it's a lot cheaper to shoot than a one-of-a-kind 'wildcat'.

(I'm still laughing)

-TMS

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, we learned to shoot the little .222 Winchester out on the plains of Andrews and Odessa...had to dope a little wind, but it is mild, cheap to shoot, and very effective. I once touched off a 7mmMag that we enjoyed using on groundhogs in Pennsylvania, but it upset the chicken house nearby something terrible. They clucked and cried and carried on for a full 10 minutes. No eggs that evening, I'll bet.

.243's are excellent choices, as you said, and can be used with another bullet choice for deer. Done that.

I enjoy your blog, keep it up.

Tom Fowler

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home