Wile, Wit, Wisdom & Weaponry

Ruminations, Opinions & Debate about the world as I see it and the toys that make it bearable!

My Photo
Name:
Location: TEXAS, United States

-Defender of the Second Amendment, the "little guy", free market system, liberty and freedom from government!

Friday, December 22, 2006

Forget 9mm's for Self-Defense!

Please read this CNN post from today's headlines:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/21/teen.bullet.ap/index.html

Any more questions about why the 9mm is not the caliber of choice for most state, local and government law enforcement, military & security agencies worldwide toting weapons?

1) Weak Penetration
2) Small Diameter
3) Low Mass
4) Usually takes multiple hits to disable threat

'Nuff said. Glad the kid is still alive, but if the prosecutor can't make a case as is without removing the bullet- he's not much of a lawyer to begin with....

2 Comments:

Blogger Darren Duvall said...

Nobody can tell you the diameter of a bullet as it passes through their heart. I can shoot a 9mm pretty well, and I don't plan to shoot anything just once. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Having the luxury of the use of expanding bullets, I feel well-defended with a SIG P226 or Glock 17 loaded with 9mm rounds.

As with anything, you can't miss fast enough to win. And if you're facing more than one opponent, a deep stack of 17 9mm rounds without pausing for reload is a great comfort. I feel very well-defended with my SIG P229 or P220 as well and don't criticize people for carrying heavier rounds, but the 9mm is no .22LR. Of the people put in the ground with "major caliber" rounds, I would say that the majority of them met their end with .356-.358 caliber rounds, and most of them with round-nose ammo, and a sizable subset from .38 Specials. I would put the .38 SPC at or slightly below the performance of the 9mmP, and I think Evan Marshall would back me up on that.

Tried to read your link but it's dead.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Darren Duvall said...

And BTW, if you know you're going to get into a gunfight, bring a rifle, and friends with rifles. :P

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home